Considering natural gas devices may be an option to lower expenditures at the same time as seeing increases in ease, efficiency and performance.
Shale gas is in plentiful supply in the United States meaning that prices per unit are low and stable, and shale gas is viewed as the least polluting fossil fuel, therefore, it can be seen as the least environmentally damaging alternative.
If you already have natural gas installed at home, or are completing a new house you might look at the possible gains of gas home appliances and natural gas home appliances. Find more information about gas appliances here from S.O.S. Santa Barbara Appliance Repair:
What are Gas Home Appliances?
A natural gas device makes use of natural gas as the main power source. Gas devices present a workable alternative for electrically powered devices.
Generally you will still need to plug in a gas appliance. The amount of electricity needed will vary from appliance to appliance. For example, a natural gas water heater will produce hot water even if the power goes out, whereas a natural gas dryer still requires electrical components to make the drum turn.
A List of Appliances That use Gas.
Natural gas is not just for cooking.
Keeping yourself warm with gas typically costs less than heating your home using electrical heaters. The difference can be up to 50% subject to your energy costs and relative efficiency gains.
Natural gas heats the air more quickly and is more reliable.This is very handy if you experience regular power outages in the winter
As well as keeping your home warm natural gas is ideal for having a fire in your home.Forget the hassle of having to collect or buy logs or clean out the ashes. With a natural gas fireplace, you still get all the ambiance and plenty of warmth without the hassle.
Cooling Your Home
Gas air conditioners can be an efficient means to keep cool.
Gas powered air conditioning requires a higher initial investment but is more cost effective to run and maintain meaning lower prices in the long term. Superior efficiency also has a positive impact on your carbon footprint.
Gas water heaters come in two styles, tank heaters and non-tank or on-demand heaters. Natural gas heaters are more rapid and more efficient than electric water boilers. Tankless water heaters also give a continuous supply even with high demand. Invaluable if you have a big household that indulges in long showers.
The fact that natural gas lines are almost always underground and guarded from the weather ensures you still have heating even if there’s a power outage.
Everyone has come across the saying “cooking with gas”. A gas company marketing line created to link natural gas with effectiveness and efficiency.
Clever marketing or not the saying is used today because it is accurate. Most chefs choose gas for the ease with which you can control the heat, and natural gas stoves provide a more cost effective way of turning energy into heat.
You may not instantly think of using natural gas to dry your clothes, however, natural gas clothes dryers are a great choice. Gas Dryers operate a few degrees hotter thus clothes dry in a shorter time and clothes have to endure less tumbling.
You have to restrict your natural gas use to indoor appliances. Outside, gas is a popular choice for patio lights and outdoor cooking and even to heat your pool.
Impress friends before they even get out of the car with path lighting, keep them toasty even when the temperature falls and get the food cooking outside, whenever you are ready, and without the need to remember to fill up your propane bottles.
Just like domestic water heaters a pool or spa heater will heat the water twice as rapidly as an electric heater. And natural gas outdoor heaters set the mood as well as providing warmth for luxurious indoor-outdoor living.
Pros of Natural Gas Appliances
As with anything there are pros and cons to natural gas appliances. Here are some of the benefits of choosing Natural Gas.
- Choosing gas will save you money on your utility bills.
- Natural gas appliances tend to use less energy making them financially and environmentally viable.
- Natural gas is an environmentally responsible selection as it is considered the least polluting of the fossil fuels, contributing around 27% less carbon dioxide than oil and 45% less carbon dioxide than coal.
- Natural gas lines are less exposed to the elements making supply less likely to get interrupted. This means you can continue to heat water even if there’s no electricity supply.
Negatives of Gas Home Appliances
- Natural gas devices tend to have a higher initial outlay. Both the price of the appliance and the installation cost are likely to be higher for a natural gas appliance when looking at next to electrical goods.
- Installing a new gas line if you don’t already have one can be expensive. The price will vary depending on a number of factors, so it is worth talking to your energy company before deciding.
- Moving or extending a natural gas line can also require a big outlay so this should always be included in any cost comparisons.
- Carbon monoxide poisoning can be a killer if gas devices are not properly installed or not maintained. making sure you have a carbon monoxide alarm is essential is you use gas in your home.
Is a Natural Gas Appliance The Right Choice for You?
Making the choice between natural gas and electricity is not always simple and the best choice for you may not be the optimal decision for everyone.
If your main driver is cost natural gas is currently the least expensive fuel. However, while studies show that three-quarters of new home buyers are choosing to have natural gas, converting to natural gas is expensive. Thus, getting a quote for installing a natural gas line if you don’t currently have gas appliances is a good first step.
Another reason to choose gas is stability of supply. If power cuts are common in your area then being able to heat water, heat or cool your home and cook during power cuts can be a big plus.
Finally, in environmental terms, while natural gas devices are generally more efficient you can’t power them from renewable sources in the same way you can electrical home appliances. Installing renewable energy may turn out to be more cost-effective and more environmentally responsible options in the long run.